Your hygienist is perhaps the most crucial person when it comes to maintaining your oral health. By sharing with you the latest oral hygiene techniques with their patients and identifying individual hygiene needs, dental hygienists are able to help patients prevent future oral problems. In our office, the Olive Dental Group doctors and hygiene team work together to maintain your oral health.
Some of the services our dental hygienists offer include:
- Patient screening procedures, such as assessment of oral health conditions, review of the health history, oral cancer screening, head and neck inspection, dental charting, and monitoring blood pressure and pulse.
- Taking and developing dental radiographs (x-rays).
- Removing calculus and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from all surfaces of the teeth.
- Applying preventive materials to the teeth (e.g., sealants and fluorides).
- Teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health, including tooth brushing, flossing, and nutritional counseling.
- Counseling patients about good nutrition and its impact on oral health.
- Performing documentation and office management activities.
Some studies have shown that bacteria in the mouth that are involved in the development of periodontal disease can move into the bloodstream and cause an inflammation in the blood vessels. These changes can, in turn, increase the risk of heart disease and stroke. This is another reason hygiene is so important!
We are fortunate to have a very experienced and talented hygiene team.
- Karen and Sonia joined the practice 30 years ago.
- Alexandria joined the practice 20 years ago.
- Debbie joined the practice 10 years ago.
- Jila joined the practice 5 years ago.
All our hygienists are licensed to deliver thorough dental care including the administering of local anesthetic to provide for greater patient comfort.